PRATIE PLACE

Search this site powered by FreeFind

Saturday, September 09, 2006

Illustration Friday - "Farm"

Painting this ghastly picture has given me fits. I hadn't tried painting since long before I left for Paris, months ago, and I seem to have lost the knack. It didn't help that I'm afraid of the photo I copied (see below).


My father was Pennsylvania Dutch; these are his father's parents in front of their farmhouse in 1924. Notice the wife was only 46 years old, why, I'm six years older than that!

Flaura Belle (nee Grim) had a very hard life. To start with, her mother died when she was very young, and then she was sent away from her home at the age of twelve, to be a servant on a neighboring farm, and was never invited home again, because her father re-married and the stepmother decided they "couldn't afford to keep her."


Technorati Tags:

Labels:

4 Comments:

At 2:06 PM, Blogger Michelle Lana said...

nice! great work!

 
At 12:57 PM, Blogger Jana Bouc said...

I like the painting a lot and am fascinated by the photo and the story. Very interesting.

 
At 11:40 PM, Blogger kenju said...

I like the painting. And her name? (Grim) A self-fullfilling prophecy, it seems.

 
At 9:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Flaura Belle was two years younger than my great grandmother, Laura (Price) Steele. Laura's mother, Lydia Anne, married a Price, but her maiden name was Cordray. I've just located census records for her father, Nathan Cordray, and her grandfather, Isaac Cordray. Isaac is connected to a family tree that goes all the way back to the Norman Conquest. My hunch now is that Lydia Anne's mother and/or her grandmother may have been Delaware Indians.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home