PRATIE PLACE

Search this site powered by FreeFind

Saturday, January 28, 2006

Illustration Friday - "Glamour"

I found this picture of a glamorous Brazilian model - sitting in what appears to be the meat and bacon department of a grocery store, holding what appears to be a giant burrito with stuff falling out of it - at Give Me Spirit Fingers, an Asian fashion blog.

My instant thought: "Honey, this was not a good gig, was it?" I sympathized with the look in her eyes.


So here's my take on the picture. The part I enjoyed doing the most was the "OFERTA" sign.

What I learned this week: A tiny brush doesn't work well with thick gucky paint on canvas.

Also, my scanner picks up about 45% of the color in the picture. Makes me wonder how much is missing from all the other pictures I see at Illustration Friday...

5 Comments:

At 3:14 PM, Blogger Ellen said...

Nicely done! At first I thought this was "Boy George!" Are you sure that isn't a pocketbook full of salad. Maybe that's how she got paid for the gig! After all...you know models don't eat much! LOL! Enjoy the week end!

 
At 4:04 PM, Blogger The Unknown said...

Great illo. I thought the model looked a bit manish too.
love

 
At 3:23 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm nervous about posting this, since I'm afraid it'll sound more like criticism than a simple comment (which is how it's intended). I thought you might like to know that the original Portuguese (hard to read in the photo if you don't know what to look for) is "Serviço do Amor e do Coração" ("Service of Love and of the Heart"). The "e" stands alone and corresponds to Spanish "y". It is also pronounced the same way, like the English letter E. Portuguese is odd that way.

 
At 7:52 AM, Blogger melinama said...

Teka, thank you! I had the feeling I wasn't getting it right. I really appreciate your letting me know what it really is!

 
At 11:15 AM, Blogger Ellen Byrne said...

I love the painting! You've changed the emotion of the piece from somber to thoughtful and interesting with color and brush!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home