PRATIE PLACE

Search this site powered by FreeFind

Tuesday, March 01, 2005

Advice to Bloggers from Ludwig Wittgenstein

I copped these from Scrivener, a blog I just discovered. He says they're both from Culture and Value, trans. Peter Winch. And look, Wittgenstein was so smart he was even on a postage stamp.
You cannot write anything about yourself that is more truthful than you yourself are. That is the difference between writing about yourself and writing about external objects. You write about yourself from your own height. You don't stand on stilts or on a ladder but on your bare feet.

No one can speak the truth; if he has still not mastered himself. He cannot speak it;--but not because he is not clever enough yet. The truth can be spoken only by someone who is already at home in it; not by someone who still lives in falsehood and reaches out from falsehood towards truth on just one occasion.
Wittgenstein was my college boyfriend's first love; I didn't mind sharing. Thanks for the memory!

Technorati Tags: , ,

8 Comments:

At 9:31 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

The Wittgenstein scholar who might best appreciate this is the Philoblogger over at Corpus Callosum.

He was reading Freud, Jung, Sartre and Dostoevsky while still a pre-teen. A most modest genius though.
And a big fan of world music...

Cheers!
Dave

 
At 10:10 AM, Blogger SC&A said...

One of the truly great minds of the 20th century.

 
At 1:53 PM, Blogger IlonaGarden said...

That is quite profound.

 
At 2:35 PM, Blogger Kimberly said...

Wonderful, and so true.

 
At 2:38 PM, Blogger Scrivener said...

It's funny, when I put them on my own blog, no one seemed particularly impressed by them. I got no comments on them, until today. Thanks for reposting them. Turns out I was just spaking to the wrong audience, I guess.

I'm a big Witty fan, though Philosophical Investigations is my favorite.

 
At 4:59 PM, Blogger melinama said...

Ah Scrivener, what praise! I have such brilliant readers! Or maybe it's cause I added the postage stamp.

 
At 11:07 PM, Blogger Al said...

OK, I think of Wittgenstein as a Nazi.

No doubt one of you guys needs to straighten me out.

 
At 4:37 AM, Blogger Craig said...

Check out Lois Shawver at PMTH, the Post-Modern Therapies News http://www.california.com/~rathbone/pmth.htm
She's got lots of quite readable explanations of Wittgenstein (her specialty) and two or three dozen other post-moderns she uses for therapeutic purposes.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home