PRATIE PLACE

Search this site powered by FreeFind

Saturday, February 12, 2005

Souvenir from our BlogCon

Browsing the Carnival of the Balkans website (via Coturnix, attendee at the conference, he of the circadian rhythms) I found the perfect souvenir (for me) of today's meeting. Considering I recently revealed my fondness for Serbian and Mexican music, surely this must be a cosmic sign of some kind. The Glory of Carniola presents Great Yugoslav Album Covers, Part 2: Yu-Mex saying: "Tito's break with Stalin in 1948 ... prompted Yugoslav authorities to reject Russian films in favor of Mexican ones. Why Mexico? Yu-Mex explains:
It was far away, the chances of Mexican tanks appearing on Yugoslav borders were slight and, best of all, in Mexican films they always talked about revolution in the highest terms."
There are mp3s of Yugoslavian mariachis on the Yu-Mex site. Where in the long tail does this genre fall?

Technorati Tags: , ,

2 Comments:

At 4:09 PM, Blogger Bora Zivkovic said...

I have written about the Balkans only a little bit, but you may like some of it. I sure hope we get together and sing Serbian songs - I used to do that all my life: piano, guitar and/or vocals.

 
At 9:53 AM, Blogger Bora Zivkovic said...

You should definitely send a post to the Carnival of the Balkans, and perhaps host an issue in the future.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home