PRATIE PLACE

Search this site powered by FreeFind

Tuesday, July 26, 2005

Carnival of the Vanities #149

And here are the submissions for this week's Carnival of the Vanities. As regular readers know, I don't enjoy political blogging, but that's the majority of what was sent to me, so that's what you get. Needless to say I am not in alignment with many of the sentiments expressed. Some entries have been edited for brevity.

Question: Do YOU, personally, actually look at any of these entries? Or are these Carnivals like the poetry readings where everybody leaves after submitting their own poem? Please comment.


Steve Pavlina asks: What's the Deal With Fluoride? He's anti-fluoride.

Lumpy, at Lump on a Blog, issues an Open Challenge to the Detractors of Rep. Tom Tancredo

The Artist at The Art of the Blog submits Rhetoric Unbound - More Reps = Nazis BS: "Fisking some of the PlameGate rhetoric...."

Chris Jenkins at DubiousProfundity.com gives us Parody of Life: Redux

At The Nose On Your Face, Buckley Williams suggests The Claim Of French Ancestry Might Assure Judicial Confirmation For Roberts"

Free Money Finance says Stop Smoking, It's Killing the Nation's Finances: "An individual's finances aren't the only ones to suffer when he smokes. It also impacts the entire nation."

Dan Melson of Searchlight Crusade submits an article on Islam, Historical Christianity, and Reform

Brad Warbiany, The Unrepentant Individual, offers in Natural Rights doctrine - the missing piece "a discussion of private property rights as "natural rights", and why we should structure society to protect these rights."

Shamalama of Common Folk Using Common Sense writes in The Dread Pirate Roberts: "The Liberal's last dying grasp on power in Washington D.C. is the United States Supreme Court, which they view as a lawmaking branch of government..."

In Trouble on the Tracks, Ironman of Political Calculations writes: "Amtrak has been highly subsidized for over 30 years - and yet, it's unable to operate profitably on any of its routes. ... some seriously radical restructuring might be in order."

From WILLisms.com comes a complaint entitled Trivia Tidbit Of The Day: Part 115 -- Ubiquitous Polling.

David St Lawrence at Ripples sent Follow your dreams, or else... saying "There is a downside to taking a safer, more conventional course through life. You may not gain the experience you need to handle unexpected changes."

Jack Cluth of The People's Republic of Seabrook sent The weekly meeting of the Union of Unemployed Copy Writers will now come to order.... saying "You just can't make this stuff up...."

coturnix of Science And Politics sent Nationalism Is Not Patriotism

Koranteng Ofosu-Amaah at Koranteng's Toli sent Bullet From A Gun, "a hip-hop photo essay in the vein of South London's vibe. Part II of the London's Got Soul Trilogy."

Brendan Loy at The Irish Trojan's Blog sent Never surrender, a "response to the appeasers and apologists, framed by Sheikh Omar Bakri Mohammed's comment that I would like to see the Islamic flag fly, not only over number 10 Downing Street, but over the whole world."

Adam Gurri at Sophistpundit sent Last Summer I wrote a book, saying: "Help out an aspiring writer!"

Ashish Hanwadikar at Ashish's Niti sent Bleeding hearts and unintended consequences, asking "Is there anything else that can be done to screw the people in the third-world countries? Is it possible?"

The Palmetto Pundit fumes in
It's Official: Pot Calls Kettle Black! saying "... Did I hear that right? John Kerry wants full disclosure?"

Two Dogs at Mean Ol' Meany sent Those Damn Great Democrats Part V - Barbara Mikulski

Chicken Little at Chicken Fried Life asks in In Vino Veritas: What if would happen if you received - and gave - totally honest answers to questions?

Mark Nicodemo writes This President Can Do Nothing Right

Ahistoricality submits Capsule Review: Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince saying: "No spoilers. Just the facts."

The Right Place presents a satirical Top Secret Democrat Party Strategy Meeting - Exposed!. An excerpt:

BILL BURKETT: Yes, but this is different - very different! After exhaustive research, I have made absolutely certain that the printing style and materials used to create these documents were widely available at the time! They appear 100% genuine! Here, have a look... Burkett hands Senator Kennedy several pieces of paper.
TED KENNEDY: This will never work, you useless imbecile - these are all written in crayon!!!...


Mustang 23 at Assumption of Command says The Iraqis are Making Strides and "I like to make sure people know about it."

Andrew at Dodgeblogium submits Cry Freedom…never more poignant.

Harvey at Bad Example sends A list of interesting, yet completely useless - and probably untrue - information about the state of Delaware.

Steven Couch at BlueStateRed sent John Roberts Nominated to Supreme Court; West Wing Pump-Fakes Nation

Mr. Snitch says in a post on podcasts: "The video iPod is what everyone's expecting from Apple. But full-length movies and music videos aren't what will send sales of this device higher than all previous iPods."

Brian at Musings from Brian J. Noggle presents Historical Perspective: "The last time someone other than Lance Armstrong won the Tour de France..."

Eric Scheie at Classical Values sends My sweetest post yet!

Chuck Simmins at You Big Mouth, You! sends China: Kudlow Favors Central Planners?: "In a jaw dropping essay, Larry Kudlow of CNN infamy, suggests that currency reform belongs in the "to do" list of the West, and not China. In fact, he praises the stability of the yuan for the last decade."

Warren Meyer at Coyote Blog submits Post Title: Physics, Wealth Creation, and Zero Sum Economics: "One of the most dangerous and persistent ideas that drive bad policy is that wealth is somehow zero-sum. This is my refutation of zero-sum economics and wealth creation."

The Watcher of Weaselssends The Nuclear Option

Paul Noonan at The Electric Commentary sends, in a post on the Senate Hearings, "the answers that you (or John Roberts) should give should
you face Senate confirmation hearings."

The Big Picture Guy asks in On Q: "What does the head of R&D have in common with Picasso? Well, for one thing, they are both Q-bists. A post on getting old, on retirement and on right and wrong."

Wayne Hurlbert of Blog Business World submitted Trading spaces: Bartering for business

Perceptions of Israel was sent by Soccer Dad: "How best to make Israel's case to the world."

Greg at Generic Confusion sent Lessons from Family Guy: "The next time the death penalty is debated, I'll pull out this lesson from the cartoon Family Guy."

John Ray of Dissecting Leftism submitted Tuesday Roundup: "links to stories about selective immigration, a huge Greenie fraud, a gun club being sued for lead pollution ..."

From Drew Burchett at Conservative Friends: Staying The Course

From Josh Cohen at Multiple Mentality comes 72 Virgins: "about the concept of getting 72 virgins once you get to heaven."

From Neal Phenes at Et Tu Bloge, submitted "NYT Takes A Side On Unocal Deal- Not Free Trade" but did not include a permalink.

From Mark A. Rayner at The Skwib comes Alternative History Fridays: Impressing Stalin: "Imagining an alternate history of Truman, Stalin and the a-bomb."

Individ sent Natural Foods? Eat my Splenda.

Matt Barr, the New World Man, sends Government as reminder service, saying "New York City wants to track who's got diabetes. Maybe so other people won't catch it!"

DrTony submits Hi, my name is Fred: "I am one of a family of programmable nanobots. ..."

Gina Vescio of A Weight Lifted sent A Modest Proposal

Don Surber sent Amnesty International Denounces Terrorists: "The violence in Iraq has reached the point where liberal groups are demanding that the troops be withdrawn immediately -- the insurgent troops! ..."

And LASTLY, Rick Moran of the Rightwing Nuthouse sent History and Fantasy


Technorati Tags:

16 Comments:

At 6:38 PM, Blogger Shirley said...

You asked if anyone reads these. I do, or at least I should say I read anywhere from 33% to 75% of the entries. Anything that looks interesting, I'll go over and take a look.

 
At 7:07 PM, Blogger Onkroes said...

And Chicken Little brought me here, but I'll certainly stay to read awhile :-)

 
At 7:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I always find several good posts among the vanities...thank you for hosting this week.

 
At 7:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'll make the first confession: I'm a submit-and-run kinda guy.

I used to look for worthwhile entries when my blog was smaller and I needed blogfodder, and the COTV *is* a good place to find them, but I don't have the time to go searching anymore, since I have a lot of other blog-projects simmering on the stove these days.

However, I still *do* give a courtesy link & trackback to any carnivals I enter.

 
At 7:27 PM, Blogger David St Lawrence said...

I read through these submissions and click on those that promise entertaining content.

It is all about content. When a blogger writes with passion and sticks with the truth, readers respond.

Connecting with an audience is an art which is well worth learning.

Thanks for hosting this Carnival.

 
At 9:05 PM, Blogger Bora Zivkovic said...

I try and read as much as can. It also depends on the carnival - some I am sure to read each entry, with others I pick and choose. CoTV is more in the latter column, but I am sure to take a look at a number of entries.

 
At 9:43 PM, Blogger Greg said...

I treat the Carnival just like any other blog, any other blog post, any news site, any listing of columnists. I read the summaries, and follow links that interest me. I'll probably only read a handful of the submissions. Other readers will read their own handful. Overall, however, everyone will get a few visits, and their writing will be exposed to a larger audience. And that's the whole point of the Carnival.

 
At 4:44 AM, Blogger melinama said...

My thanks to those who are taking the time to answer this question.

I used to write for BlogCritics before their hysterical insistence on "linking back" to them - and suppressing "linking forward" to my own site - made me think they were too focused on page rankings rather than content. Since then, though, I've wondered if they were right, and if it's true that posting links to sites which then do not link back (a Carnival with rude participants, as a hypothetical example) would in fact have some mystical negative effect.

On this subject, Wayne Hurlbert of "Blog Business World" wrote:

"As for linking back, it's a myth that you will lose Google ranking if you don't receive links back to your blog. ... you don't lose Google power from outgoing links. In fact, the opposite is true. Google seems to reward blogs that link out to other blogs and websites. A Carnival hosting, even with minimal links back, is an overall net benefit in Google. The concern arises from that old myth that Google juice somehow "leaks" away. I don't believe it, and I have seen tons of evidence that the opposite is in fact the truth. Link out. It helps. It doesn't hurt your rankings at all."

 
At 1:32 PM, Blogger Bora Zivkovic said...

Well, this being the oldest, largest and most popular carnival (and I am sure melinama got a lot of hits), I have to say I got a single hit to my entry so far. This suggests that there is at most one person who conceivably clicked on all the links. Interesting...

 
At 1:45 PM, Blogger Jeff Faria said...

There are more people who read blogs than write them. Those who write them, if they write them well, have precious little time to read other posts. On the other hand, for various (and well-known) reasons it is important for bloggers to read others' posts. Therefore, time is made (even if it means taking time from writing) for reading other posts on other sites. Now, whether or not one returns to a particular blog is another matter. With so many blogs, there must be something compelling in the content for that kind of commitment. What I personally do is bookmark every interesting blog. Then once every 6 weeks or so I go through my bookmarks and add worthwhile blogs to my blogroll. "Worthwhile" covers a lot of ground... a worthwhile blog might be covering the same ground I am, might impact my local area, might be something just outside my sphere that I want to know about, might simply be too widely read to ignore, might be an outstanding writer, might make me laugh, might be something so outside my experience that I have to learn more. Or, they might just have linked to me first, and I'm reciprocating. That happens too.

Bloggers should concentrate on offering something worthwhile for their readers, something they may not be getting elsewhere. That's my goal, anyway. Trying to out-think Google is a vain excercise. I tend to take Google at their word, "Don't be evil". I'm going on faith that this search engine wants to reward bloggers who offer unique value to their readers. I have seen this demonstrated. For example, Google searches for Marshall Curry's 'Street Fight' documenary often (depending on search criteria) list my site's commentary ahead of PBS and the Tribeca Film Festival (which both aired and promoted it) and major publications which commented on it.

And in terms of outlinks, I link like crazy. I try to find things that, again, my readers are interested in. In the short run, there are gimmicks that drive traffic. Social networks also drive traffic (which is why NYC-centric links, and for that matter any metro-area links) get far more traffic than exurban links. So get a gimmick or go to lots of parties for your traffic. Myself, I'd rather work at the craft and build traffic over time - with the occasional gimmick. Instalanches are fun, but they don't bring traffic back after the post is gone. The blogger has to do that his/her self.

Well, that's GOT to be more than you wanted to know. Thanks for hosting the Carnival.

 
At 4:51 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

I try to read at least half of the entries to Carnival; and usually read many more than that. I consider it a courtesy to the many great bloggers who take the time to submit to the Carnival, as well as to the host who took the considerable time required to prepare the post for everyone.

 
At 4:20 PM, Blogger Mark Daniels said...

Like several other commenters, I usually pick out a few that look interesting and read them. I may check back in over several days and look at one or two other entries.

 
At 6:59 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I used to read the COV every week but I skipped it or missed it a few times and started skipping it more and more often and now I rarely read it at all and when I do I mostly just skim through it and don't click on many links if any at all. It has nothing to do with the Carnival itself; it's just that I find so many things I want to read with just normal everyday surfing, I hardly have time for a Carnival.

 
At 10:17 PM, Blogger Jack said...

Pardon my ignorance, but how do you submit a vanity? Are there any requirements? Where should it be sent?

Thank you,
Cutler

 
At 6:24 PM, Blogger Jeff Faria said...

Pratie: When I hosted a Carnival I too got dumped on from a poster who missed the cutoff point and, rather than simply accept responsibility and post elsewhere the next week, tried to make it my fault and acted as if there would never be another Carnival.

 
At 8:26 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mr Snitch - Actually, I suspect Technogypsy might've just been teasing with that first line, since the next line starts "but seriously".

Technogypsy - smile when you say that :-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home