PRATIE PLACE

Search this site powered by FreeFind

Monday, February 14, 2005

Sweet Potato Queens' Advice for the Lovelorn

Michele just told me I got tagged. Thanks Michele! Welcome travelers! And on Valentine's Day, no less! If you leave me an inspiring Valentine's Day suggestion I'll try to post about it later ...

Jeez, this holiday stirs up so much rancor. The online guys are moaning it's impossible to win on Valentine's Day. The online girls are moaning that they (a) don't have a Valentine or (b) don't like the Valentine they have.

Let's all get over it!

Men, if you are at a lost for something romantic to tell your wives, here is a suggestion from Garrison Keillor: "I like you better than most men like their wives." Wanna try that one out? (Heh heh.)

The rest of this post is brought to you from the writings of Jill Connor Browne, jefa of the Sweet Potato Queens. By the way, did you know they just made a sit-com pilot? Anyway, this passage is on a dog-eared page in my copy of The Sweet Potato Queens' Book of Love. And by the way, the advice is exactly as beneficial for anybody of any sex who's in the dumps due to courting disaster.
My friend Fran works in a building with its own employee dining room. Fran's had her share of ups and downs with men, and one of the ladies who works in the dining room has been there long enough to read the faces of the folks she serves.

Fran came in one day, and the lady took one look at her and said, "Git another one." Fran was confused, since she had not spoken a word. "What?"

The lady laid her hand on Fran's arm, looked her squarely in the eye, and said, "You don't have to say a word. It's a man, I know it is. Git another one. This one don't do right. Git another one."

As my daddy used to say whenever he thought too much of a fuss was being made over something lost or broken, "They makin' them thangs ever' day."
Now there is a mantra fit for the ages. For more information, here's the Sweet Potato Queens Website. Now if you want to be one of the Queens, you can't. You can't even be a wannabe - there's too long a waiting list. But if you want to start your own club, you can (World-Wide Chapters).

Technorati Tags: , , ,

19 Comments:

At 1:10 AM, Blogger Crayonsetc said...

Happy Valentines Day!! Have a wonderful day... and Hello, Michele sent me!!

 
At 1:49 AM, Blogger Shaunta said...

Great site! Michele sent me.

I loved the advice from the Sweet Potato ladies. They are SO right.

Shaunta

 
At 2:02 AM, Blogger theaddict said...

Happy V-day! Michele sent me.

 
At 2:05 AM, Blogger Zinnia Cyclamen said...

Hello, Michele sent me. Lovely to find your blog. I wish I could get to one of your 'songs for non-singers' courses - but unfortunately the Atlantic is in the way!

 
At 2:55 AM, Blogger Christine said...

Hello, Michele sent me!

Happy Valentine's Day - enjoyed my visit!

 
At 4:49 AM, Blogger purplefugue said...

Happy Valentine's Day Meli... You should read my post on this "most evil of days for singletons".

Oh...and Michelle sent me. :P

 
At 5:19 AM, Blogger . said...

Hello, Michele sent me!

No big plans for us this Valentine's day. Just our normal Monday thing -- we're taking Latino dancing lessons! Hear that, ladies? A guy's taking dancing lessons with his wife! And loving it!

 
At 5:31 AM, Blogger Alda said...

Great blog - and Happy Valentine's! Michele sent me ...

 
At 6:03 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi
Michele sent me too, and I'm glad she did!

Have a great day.

 
At 7:41 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello! Michelle sent me...

Love the Blog!

 
At 8:37 AM, Blogger michelle said...

happy valentines day!

great place...

and btw, hi! michele sent me!

 
At 9:27 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love the suggestion. Lets get over it. Certainly.

Michele sent me, but I'll be back on my own!

 
At 9:33 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

and . . . . over it!

Happy Day and Oh! Michele sent me.

 
At 11:09 AM, Blogger scrappintwinmom said...

Hello. Michele sent me. Nice place you have here.

 
At 11:17 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello, Michele sent me!

And I adore the Sweet Potato Queens, too. Luckily the man I have is goooood.

 
At 11:30 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy VDay. Michele Sent me

 
At 11:53 AM, Blogger Sarie said...

Hello! Michele sent me!

 
At 1:16 PM, Blogger SC&A said...

I'm not touching this post. i want to, but I won't.

Lets see if I can comment on your next post, quoting that poem, 'After Arafat.' I want to ask you about that, but good breeding precludes that.

Yes, Michele sent me. I do everthing Michele says- well so far, anyway.

 
At 1:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

There are waaay too many hallmark holidays. How come we are born into all of this gotta do that we don't wanta do?

Michele didn't send me, but I'm ready I think.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home